PALFORZIA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is PALFORZIA?
PALFORZIA is a prescription medication derived from peanuts and is for the treatment of patients with peanut allergy. The purpose of PALFORZIA is to minimize the risk of severe allergic reaction in the event of accidental peanut exposure. PALFORZIA is the only FDA-approved treatment for peanut allergy and is approved for patients ages 4 through 17.
Will PALFORZIA Cure My Peanut Allergy?
PALFORZIA is not a cure for peanut allergy and is used in conjunction with a peanut avoidance diet.
How Often Do I Have to Take PALFORZIA?
There are three (3) phases of the PALFORZIA process: the initial dose escalation phase, up-dosing phase, and the maintenance phase.
- The initial dose escalation phase is the start of your PALFORZIA journey. You will receive five (5) escalating doses of PALFORZIA in your Atlanta Allergy & Asthma office. If you tolerate the initial dose escalation you will return the following day to start the up-dosing phase.
- There are eleven (11) steps of the up-dosing phase. The first dose of each up-dosing level is given in your AA&A office. If you tolerate the first dose of a new level, you will continue to take that dose level every day at home. PALFORZIA should be taken with a meal at the same time each day. You will return to your AA&A office every two (2) weeks during the up-dosing phase. Once all eleven (11) up-dosing steps are complete you will begin the maintenance phase.
- During the maintenance phase you will continue 300 mg of PALFORZIA daily and will continue to follow up with your Atlanta Allergy & Asthma provider as recommended.
How Do I Take PALFORZIA?
PALFORZIA is a powder product that is emptied from a capsule or sachet and mixed with a small amount of a semi-solid food such as pudding, applesauce, or yogurt. It is important to note:
- PALFORZIA capsules cannot be swallowed.
- PALFORZIA powder cannot be inhaled.
- PALFORZIA cannot be mixed with a liquid.
- Always wash your hands immediately after handling PALFORZIA.
What Side Effects Should I Expect with PALFORZIA?
The most common reported side effects are stomach pain/cramping and itching of the mouth or throat. These symptoms are usually mild and typically do not require intervention, however, PALFORZIA can cause severe life-threatening reactions. Symptoms include but are not limited to: trouble breathing, wheezing, chest tightness, throat tightness, trouble swallowing, swelling of lips, face, tongue or eyes, dizziness, fainting, severe stomach pain, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop PALFORZIA and seek medical attention immediately. Contact your Atlanta Allergy & Asthma office for guidance.
Do I Have to Keep My Epinephrine Auto-Injector?
PALFORZIA is not a cure for peanut allergy. It is important to maintain a peanut-free diet and continue to carry an epinephrine auto-injector.
Can I Take Extra Doses of PALFORZIA to Speed Up the Process?
PALFORZIA can only be taken once a day as prescribed. You cannot make adjustments to your PALFORZIA dosing as this will increase your risk of a severe life-threatening reaction.
Will PALFORZIA Treat Any of My Other Food Allergies?
PALFORZIA is a medication derived from peanuts and is used exclusively for the treatment of peanut allergy.
Who Should Not Take PALFORZIA?
PALFORZIA is contraindicated in patients with Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE) and uncontrolled asthma.
Can I Exercise Before or After Taking PALFORZIA?
It is important to refrain from exercise and/or a hot bath or shower for three (3) hours after taking PALFORZIA as this increases the risk of an adverse event. If you have exercised or taken a hot shower or bath do not take PALFORZIA until you have cooled down, are not sweating, and your heart rate is beating at your normal rhythm.
Can I Take PALFORZIA Before Bed?
PALFORZIA can potentially cause a severe adverse reaction. Most allergic reactions occur within the first hour after taking PALFORZIA. It is important to be awake for at least one (1) hour after each dosing to monitor for symptoms.
If I Am Sick, Should I Skip My Dose?
Certain illness can potentially increase the risk of an adverse event. It is important to communicate with your Atlanta Allergy & Asthma provider if you are not feeling well. Do not make any adjustments to your PALFORZIA dose without consulting your provider.
If I Am Over 17, Can I Still Start PALFORZIA?
PALFORZIA is FDA-approved for patients ages 4 through 17. If you are over 17 years of age you are not a candidate for PALFORZIA.